Installing The Theme
Installing The Theme via WordPress Dashboard
To Install a Theme via WordPress Dashboard follow these steps:
- Go to your WordPress Admin Panel & Log in (Ex: http://yourwebsite.com/wp-admin)
- Go to Appearance -> Themes -> Add New
- From top, Click on Upload Theme
- Choose the ZIP file you’ve downloaded & Click Install Now
- Click on Activate to active the theme
If you are a visual learner, you can watch this video tutorial about How To Install a Theme
Installing The Theme via FTP
To install a WordPress Theme via FTP, follow these steps:
We will be using Filezilla
- Open Filezilla
- Enter the FTP account details provided by your web host in Host, Username & Password field
Host: Server hostname (FTP.yourdomain.com)
Username: Your Username
Password: Your Password
- Once connected, you’ll see two panes.
Left Pane (Local Site): Shows the files on your computer
Right Pane (Remote Site): Shows the files currently on the web server.
- Locate your root folder (Ex: public_html)
- Extract the theme file; drag & drop the unzipped theme folder to wp-content/themes directory.
- If you’re done uploading files, to disconnect just click the disconnect icon
- Activate the theme from Appearance -> Themes
If you are a visual learner, follow Video tutorial about How To Use FTP To Upload Files To WordPress
REQUIREMENTS FOR THEME
You need to agree the following requirements.
WordPress 4.0 or higher.
PHP 5 or higher
MySQL 5 or higher.
Install theme via WordPress Admin Panel
1. Open WordPress admin panel (navigate through web browser to the folder where you have installed the WordPress e.g. www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/ ) and go Appearance > Themes on admin sidebar.
2. Click Add New link and click Upload Theme link.
3. Activate Charity Review theme.
- After Installing and activating the theme you will see the following message at the top of the page.
- This theme requires few following plugins. Without these plugins, theme will not respond as expected.
- You should click Begin installing plugins link.
- You will be redirected to install Required Plugins page, here you will find all of the theme required and recommended plugins. To install them just check all of them and from the drop down select install once.
- All these required plugins are free. Some of them consists for Pro version but Charity Pro in not dependent on Pro version of Plugins or any other Paid Plugins.
Recommended Plugins are not necessary to use. It’s your choice whether to use it or not.
JETPACK: Jetpack is a single plugin that gives you the most powerful WordPress.com features, hooking your self-hosted WordPress site to WordPress.com’s infrastructure to take advantage of robust stats, easy social sharing, and a whole lot.
ADVANCED CUSTOM FIELD: Advanced Custom Fields is a free WordPress plugin which acts as a GUI layer for custom fields. Custom fields are native to WP and appear on pages, posts and custom post types; however the native post types are not very user friendly. In Charity Pro theme, ACF is required if you wish to use our custom post type “Charity Pro Event”.
CONTACT FORM 7: Contact form 7 is a free WordPress plugin that is used to display form on page, posts etc.
CUSTOMIZER EXPORT/IMPORT: The Customizer Export/Import plugin allows you to export or import your WordPress customizer settings from directly within the customizer interface!
DONATION BUTTON: PayPal Donation Button allows you to place a PayPal donation button within your WordPress theme.
VISUAL COMPOSER: Visual Composer is a drag and drop frontend and backend page builder that will save you tons of time working on our site content.
Before building your site you need to configure WordPress and the plugins. Please read carefully Theme Installation/Plugin Configuration.
- WordPress Configuration
You can adjust WordPress settings as follows:
- You can set Site Title in Settings > General.
- You can set Blog pages show at most in Settings > Reading.
- You can select Front Page and Posts Page in Settings > Reading.
Step 1: Navigate to Posts in you WordPress admin sidebar.
Step 2: Click on the Add New option to make a new post. Create a title, and insert your post content in the editing field.
Step 3: Select Post Format from the right side.
Step 4: Add categories from the right side. To assign it to the post, check the box next to the category name.
Step 5: Add tags from the right side. Type the name of the tag in the field, separate multiple tags with commas.
Step 6: you can add featured image. To do so, first click the featured image box, select an image and click the set featured image button.
Step 7: For a video post or an audio post, paste the iFrame embed or link either from Youtube, vimeo or soundcloud. Note: activate shortcode embeds (Jetpack).
There are two custom post types of our theme, Slider and Event.
Charity Pro supports Slider post type; you can create slider and assign it to certain slider category. You can adjust various slider settings by navigating slider setting option. Now, when you create a page there lays a dropdown where you can choose a slider category and the published page shows the featured image of sliders.
Step 1: Navigate to Slider in your WordPress admin sidebar.
Step 2: Click on the Add New option to make a new slider. Create a title, and insert your slider content in the editing field. Add slider link and slider button text which will be displayed in the slider.
Step 3: create a slider category and assign it to the slider. You can create slider category also by choosing the option slider category. Once you make categories, you must assign them to sliders to make them work.
Step 4: add a featured image.
Step 5: click Publish button.
Once you create slider, you can adjust slider settings by navigating to slider settings option.
You can adjust various slider settings according to your wish for your slider like,
- Ken burn effect
- animated text description
- slider speed
- auto play
- auto play speed
- dots pagination
- pause on hover
- vertical swipe
Click save button after adjusting all the settings as per your requirement.
The next post type is Charity Pro Event. You have to activate the Advanced Custom Field plugin to add event fields while creating events, which is required.
Step 1: Navigate to Event in your WordPress admin sidebar.
Step 2: Click on the Add New option to make a new event. Create title, and insert your event content in the editing field.
Step 3: You can choose post format of events from the right side.
Step 4: You can now add various details to your event. These event fields are only available if you activate ACF (Advanced Custom Field).
Event Start Date
Event End Date
Place booking form shortcode here (You can use Contact Form 7 Plugin or other plugins for this)